Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl Sunday

OK - Thanksgiving is the day of the year that the most food is consumed in the United States.  Super Bowl Sunday is number two.  So I ask again are ya here for the food, the fellowship, the fun, or the football?  

We are in the midst of our 10th (we think) annual Covenant Baptist Church Souper Bowl.  The food as usual was great.  Betsey did a chili this year (maybe because I didn't).  It was pretty good except it was loaded with red and yellow chilis (not a big fan of sweet peppers).  I did some bacon wrapped smokies (with a couple wieners on the side).  The wieners will be something to try come grill time of the year, not that all the time isn't grill time.  And my other recipe was Football Party Jalapeno Poppers and that recipe came from Man Tested Recipes.  This website may be one of my up and coming favorite sites for recipes.  It is very user friendly, easy to navigate, and chock full of wonderful "Man Tested Recipes" - I think that women can get in as well though so they know what to cook for the men in their lives.  (really I am joking for those of you that don't know me - I just wanted to go with the flow of the name of the website)

Looking around the room here at Covenant Baptist Church I am wondering how many people are watching the game and how many people wish they could hear the game.  Maybe 70 people here this year; 6 chili entries, 6 feet of desserts, 12 feet of appetizers and side dishes, and of course Porubsky's Pickles being served up by our Pastor, Casey Ingold.
The Jalapeno Poppers in a crockpot
went over  very well




Another great recipe at the table tonight was Cha Cha's White Chicken Chili.  Tom, my friend and fellow church member (he is also in our small group), did the White Chicken Chili.  It was an interesting twist on a chili.  Most people, including the judges, are looking for a more traditional looking chili to win in a chili contest.  I have won the cook-off 2 of the past 6 years and I have found this to be true. And I might add this held up for this year as well; the non-traditional chilis came in at the end of the ranking. 

Great fellowship at the church as usual for this yearly pigskin gladiator event.  Looks like the Ravens might be winning this one.  I certainly don't want to give up on my 49ers yet though.  It is only half-time, so don't give up on them yet.  

I think it is time for some more dessert.  I really do appreciate you for reading my blog.  


Thanks for reading - Please come back.

Chow and Chow Down
Blessings to Ya'll 
Share with your friends

Kevin


1 comment: