Saturday, February 16, 2013

Another Great Hamburger in Topeka, KS

Why are the best places for hamburgers in the most hole in the wall place?  That may be a question that we can get some government funding for the research.  Seems like a great investment to me what about you Wally?

The Fryer Shack is a newer establishment, located at what I understand is the original Bobo's site at 1221 SW Huntoon.  Feel secure going here in the his neighborhood.  Huntoon is a very busy street and the parking lot is very well lit, maybe too well lit.  You can see the pile of destruction material in the back.  The place needs a bit of clean up; which does appear to be happening slow but sure.  The first time I visited was last year right after they opened and the air conditioner was broke.

Topeka food and flicks had a few bad comments but if you might need to work yourself up to the grease on some items or you might find yourself feeling a bit queasy.  But they pride themselves on the greasy bags that your french fries or fried dill pickle chips.  I hope they are using a healthy oil (haha).

Onto the burgers.  The burgers are a good size and you can pick between Swiss and American cheese for a cheeseburger.  The burgers have a consistency that is not a crumbly cheap hamburger.  These appear to be a special ground that has a great texture as well as taste.  I think that the buns are home made (well kinda home made).  I always wondered about that statement for a restaurant "Home Made"; does the manager take the items home and make things at home while everyone is sleeping.  I think I would have to give these burgers a 9 on a scale of 10.  A 9 only because it is hard to get a perfect out of me.

The wings were very tasty as well.  Someone mentioned in a previous review that there was some pink in their wing.  That happens in the best and most supervised kitchens.  Doesn't necessarily mean that your food is under-cooked.  Emma Christensen posts in her blog, and I quote: "The USDA says that as long as all parts of the chicken have reached a minimum internal temperature of 165°, it is safe to eat. Color does not indicate doneness.  The USDA further explains that even fully cooked poultry can sometimes show a pinkish tinge in the meat and juices. This is particularly true of young chickens whose bones and skin are still very permeable. Pigment in the bone marrow can color the surrounding tissue and make the bones themselves look very dark. Hemoglobin in the muscles can likewise react with air during cooking to give the meat a pinkish color even after cooking. The chicken's feed and whether it's been frozen can also affect the final color."    I will say that the wings were the best that I have had in Topeka (although they could have been a bit larger).  I did actually get some to go along with my burger on Thursday but went back last evening and grabbed a couple dozen to go home with me for dinner.  If you get the bone out double your order cause they are like popcorn chicken size.  I was there at the end of the day and they ran out of bone ins.




Now as far as esthetic appeal goes this needs some work.  The mother and daughter team during the lunch hour on Thursday walked over, around, and stepped on a rag laying on the floor.  Sorry I couldn't figure out how to rotate the picture.  I almost reached over and picked it up for them; but took a picture instead.  They were very friendly as was the young lady Friday evening (I think her name was Stacia) and I think the Friday night gal was the owner's daughter (or at least the cook's daughter).  Friday night I got a discount on my wings as they were out of the bone in wings; this was a great reach out to say we are sorry.


Random thought
Did you know that Panda's eat Bamboo 12-14 hours per day?

Would you rather have Random Thoughts or Recipes?  I would appreciate any and all thoughts on what interests you most on here.  



Thanks for reading - Please come back.

Chow and Chow Down
Blessings to Ya'll 
Share with your friends

Kevin




1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried there yet. May have to go and give it a try. :-)

    ReplyDelete